Integration of the production planning cockpit "PPC" in SAP
The production planning cockpit is fully integrated into SAP ERP, i.e. there are no interfaces and the same data models are used.
How is ITeanova's production planning cockpit "PPC" integrated into SAP ERP?
The production planning cockpit "PPC" is fully integrated into SAP ERP, the user interface is visually identical to SAP ERP.
Integration has different aspects:
Everything that is changed in SAP ERP is immediately reflected as a change in the production planning cockpit and vice versa: Everything that is changed in PPC is reflected on the SAP ERP side.
- Simulated changes: From the PPC, SAP functions can be called up in simulation mode (for example, production order maintenance). Here from either side (PPC or ERP) changes can be made in planning, which are reflected in the PPC or ERP in simulation mode without the need to save in both.
- Database changes: All simulated changes can be saved in the "PPC" planning cockpit. All changes made directly in the PPC user interfaces or with PPC algorithms, as well as all changes made by switching to SAP ERP functions, are saved to the database.
SAP ERP has a reserve of flexible master data for production planning, which is also used in full by the PPC: both for creating and maintaining important transaction data in the PPC (planned orders/production orders), as well as their parameters for planning purposes:
- Material master
- For example, lot size parameters and special procurement key (SOBSL) for PPC demand coverage ("Lean MRP") and availability check group for the pegging strategy
- Bill of materials
- For example: special procurement keys and alternative groups
- Work center
- Parameters for scheduling/ simulations in PPC
- Production sequence of operations when determining alternative resources, buffer time and overlap settings for scheduling/simulation in PPC
- Production version
- The production version is automatically changed in scheduling/simulation in PPC.
- Production resources and tools
- Assignment to operations and detailed data when converting production resources/tools to bottlenecks/resources
- Referencing a work center (capacity type) to a PPC resource
- Grouping of resources into resource groups and hierarchies
- Feasibility matrix: determination of alternative resources per operation in the routing
- Operation relationships between the operations of a routing with the possibility of defining minimum and maximum offsets
- Maintenance of product allocations according to available capacities
- Real-time mapping of changes in SAP ERP and PPC, in both directions
- Same data model on both sides
- No data transfer necessary
- No need to maintain master data separately
PPC master data:
In addition to master data in SAP ERP, you can create your own master data in the PPC in order to achieve certain planning functionalities that cannot be mapped with such flexibility using just SAP ERP master data. These data always have a direct reference to existing SAP ERP master data (for example, material master, work center, routing).
Data model and data transfer
The fact that, due to the complete integration of the PPC in SAP ERP, the planning objects used (master data and transaction data) are identical to those they know from working with the SAP ERP standard, facilitates working with the PPC considerably for many customers.
Whenever SAP ERP external planning tools are used, the data model of these tools is not identical to that of SAP ERP! As a result, the customer has to acquire mapping knowledge about which data is stored in SAP ERP and which data corresponds to the external planning tool. This effort is completely eliminated with the PPC, which many customers appreciate and which simplifies the introduction, training and explanation enormously.
This also eliminates the need for physical data transfer to the production planning cockpit and back, which also avoids risks of data inconsistencies.
Benefits of the production planning cockpit versus SAP ERP
The figure below shows the main advantages of the PPC versus planning in the SAP ERP standard: at which points the PPC with its full integration supports and complements SAP ERP standard in such a way that it brings great benefits.